Friday, April 23, 2004

Today, so far (I know it's 4:30 only), has been Karma Friday. It's one of those days where it's hard not to believe in something like karma.

I started this morning laughing to myself that the jackass upstairs got a parking ticket because the street cleaners came by and he parked on our side of the street. I even heard him out by his car say something like, "What the fuck is this?" and then wander around his car in an angry spell, looking for the sign CLEARLY tied to the tree nearby. I chuckled then. Ha ha.

Then, I locked myself out of my apartment when leaving to do laundry. I had to call my landlord because Butch is in Chippewa Falls learning how to be a good Leinenkugel's seller or something like that. All I know is he's going to a northern Wisconsin fish fry tonight, the bastard.

So I went to my parents' house and waited to hear. Nothing. I headed back here so I'd at least be in the neighborhood in case the landlord was in a hurry. I stopped at White Castle to get a late lunch.

Outside of White Castle, this guy comes up to me (says first, "I thought you were Greg Maddux!" I replied with, "I wish") with a story about how he has $13 and is trying to buy a tire at this place across the street and that he was embarrassed and all this, and that he needs $8 to get the tire. I "bought" his story (it sounded pretty credible, but whatever), but I said, "I can't give you $8, but I can give you a couple bucks to get you closer to what you need. See, I'm actually unemployed, so I can't afford to give anymore to you." He said he was sorry, and actually sounded like he meant it, and was very thankful (more thankful than a "bum" would be, so again, I buy his story) that I gave him $2.

I went back to my apt. and sat in the car outside of it, eating my White Castles and watching all the punkass kids parading themselves up and down the sidewalks--stupid punks--and then remembered that I'm an idiot. Because I didn't have my keys, I couldn't lock the deadbolt. So just the knob was locked (Chuck Knoblauch?!). Simple enough...though I'd never done it, I'd heard of it. And indeed, just by pushing a credit card into my door when the deadbolt is open, you can waltz right in. It was almost magical--I BARELY touched the freakin' card to the door and it popped open. This after climbing up and over the railing on my deck, hoping a cop wouldn't turn the corner, since my driver's license and car registration are not updated to this address. So I broke into my apt. basically. This is the second time this has happened in this place--Butch had to climb in a window (with the help of our neighbor who let him into the basement to get the apt's ladder) when we first moved in because he locked himself out.

But all in all, it has been karma-filled day today...at least so far. There are plenty of hours left. So we'll see...I'll have to be nice to people, I guess. :)