Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Ah, the interview.

Went pretty well, as far as I can tell. The company seems quite, quite solid. The two people I talked to (it was a group interview, so I had to talk to two people at once) seemed convinced that I was a good editor, although I did not have to take any editing tests of any kind, which I found to be a little strange. But hey, less thinking along those lines in an interview is fine with me.

The job seems challenging, no doubt, but, it seems like, at WORST, a great resume builder. I'd be part of a two-person team that basically puts together the WHOLE magazine. I edit everything that goes into the magazine and write a couple of things. I coordinate all of the content and everything. It's a smaller magazine (number of pages) than PFW, but there's plenty of info in there. I'd have to travel during the year -- 3-4 industry expos, and that's kind of cool. I like to travel. They are VERY generous in their benefits...19 v/s/p days to use HOWEVER I want, and they accrue in the first year of employment, so I'd get v/s/p days the minute I was hired, prorated for the year. They said they have a whole bunch of paid holidays too, so that's nice. Their health insurance apparently pays *90* percent in-network, which is cool, and they're working on getting vision insurance. Also, it's still day hours, though earlier than PFW--8:30a-5p, with NO WEEKENDS. And, they're flexible about the part-time work and whatnot...the attitude of, as long as you put in 40 hours a week and get your work done, then you can come in a little earlier and leave a little earlier. That's great, given the part-time work and the softball leagues I'm in. :)

And although the topic is not football or sports, ya know what? So what? I mean, of course, salary is going to play into my "so what about the topic" attitude, but as long as they treat me right and pay me appropriately, then I'll become the expert on that field. That's fine with me. Sure, my friends won't ask me about the latest news in w a t e r q u a l i t y, but so what? Honestly, that's almost even better...I can leave work AT WORK even more. Sometimes I got bored of talking football at bars and things like that--mostly it was cool, but sometimes it was just like, "Ugh, I do this all day, can we talk baseball or life or something else?" :)

I told them also about my flunking out, because the dude was like, "So, you graduated from Northwestern..." I cut him off, and said, "Actually, no," and explained it. They had questions about it--what classes did I fail, did I try to transfer anywhere, etc., etc. The woman (who was really nice and was taking notes the entire interview) walked me out and when we got to the lobby, she turned and offered her "condolences" on it, saying, unwarranted, mind you, "Oh, and don't worry about the flunking out. It's not the worst thing in the world." and then proceeded to tell me how she fell a credit short in school and had to retake classes, etc., etc. She also thanked me for being up front and honest about it and complimented me by saying it took a lot of guts to admit that and talk about it. And I said, well, I don't want to hide anything or lie or anything like that. It happened, it's behind me, and I just wanted to let you guys not assume that I graduated, because that would be wrong. So, at least SHE doesn't have a problem with it, and she's the human resources director. So that's good.

The bad side: There would be more pressure, being one of two in charge of the mag. I'm pretty sure I can handle it, without a problem. There is the whole lack of knowledge on the topic, and I'll have to get up to speed kinda quickly, without the benefit of fellow staff members to help me with the whole knowledge thing.

Also, I don't know what they're going to offer me in terms of money. Given the actual job description and the magazine's topic, I have an opinion that they'd better pay me handsomely. But, my skepticism is keeping that hope in check.

Basically, if they make (an offer, period, and) the right monetary offer, I'm taking the job and not looking back. What's the right offer? Don't know...we'll see when they make it. :)

I've gotten positive responses (though no jobs) from Chicago Magazine though (offering the possibility of freelance even) and Chicago Wilderness Magazine, both of which I sent a blind resume and cover letter to. We'll see what happens with that. And tomorrow, PFW gives me some freelance editing to do, which will be nice bonus money, that's for sure.

Luis brought me, upon request, his last year's worth of Chicago Mag, so I can better understand the magazine before I try to pitch freelance story ideas to them. In fact, the other day, I thought of a spectacular story/book idea the other day, but it wouldn't be the safest thing in the world, and I'm not risking my life/sanity for FREELANCE work...and I'm not ready to write a book. :) Plus, I don't know if that magazine would even want it, if it were story-sized. In actuality, the story would take a TON of legwork and hours and hours and hours of talking and interviewing and weeding things out and whatnot, and probably wouldn't be the safest thing in the world (at least not the way *I'd* want to do it)...and, a lot of complete strangers would have to be amenable to talking to me, which I don't know if that would happen. But who knows? Maybe someday...that's one of those things I'll just have to file away and hope no one else thinks of.

Otherwise, "24" was indeed cool last night. Though I was a bit rusty on catching and predicting the cheesiness of some stuff (such as the chemical accelerant--how could the symptoms still have a 14-hour incubation period, since there's only nine hours left!?!?!?). And Laz, I think UberBitch is gonna die by the end of this season. I really do. She's screwed President Cerrano over every which way she could by now...there isn't much else she can do. She'll get the illness and die...and Cerrano will cry over her, after his now-ex-girlfriend doctor can't save her... :) I bet.

Today I just messed around watching TV and surfing the Net. No biggie.

I'll catch ya guys more later on.