Friday, February 06, 2004

I don't know why I open my mouth...

Two of my coworkers were just talking about Starter jackets, and I made the comment that the first Starter ANYthing I had was the NU jacket that I "stole" from Donna when she was going to give it to Amvets or whatever a year or so back. But then I remembered I did get a White Sox 1993 Western Division championship cap when they won. But, I never could have any Starter stuff growing up because of where I grew up. I said it, of course, just making conversation...but of course, it opened a whole can of evil, mocking worms. They asked why, and I said, well, because everyone I knew who had anything Starter eventually got mugged for it, and I didn't want that. In fact, I don't think where I live now that I could wear it, truthfully. So, of course, everyone mocked me...then I mentioned that another coworker lived in the "cushy outreaches" of the city, and that of course brought laughter and more mockery.

I mean, I'm laughing about it too...it's not mean-spirited or anything...and I'll laugh when that's the case...but, jeez, I can't even make a comment about how I grew up or whatever.

Were any of you prevented from having that type of stuff growing up? I guess finances also played into me not having Starter stuff, but mostly it was a safety issue.