Wednesday, May 28, 2003

File under: "Holy Crap."

PFW softball is now 2-2. We are on a two-game winning streak, both comeback wins. Last week I told you of our 19-16 win after being down 16-2 at one point. This week, we were far more consistent, hanging around and keeping it close throughout. We were down 14-10 heading into our last raps in the bottom of the 7th, and we plated five runs to win the game. It was huge.

Personally, I pitched a gem in relief for the second straight week. I know by saying that I'm tempting the softball gods and all, but I'm pretty confident in my abilities to bounce back, as well as the way my teammates are playing right now.

I like the way we have it set up. I start in right field until our "starting pitcher" starts letting in runs. Then, our coach makes the call to the "pen," which is me, and I take over. It's great because our "starter" throws much flatter pitches than I do. So the opponent is not as prepared for my pitching as they would be. Yesterday, I played a little mind game type thing too, coming in, stepping on the mound, throwing one warmup for a strike and announcing to the ump and the world, "I'm ready, Blue, that's all I need." He responded a little stunned and told me I could have more warmups. I said I didn't need them. I proceeded to get the first batter I faced to ground out on the first pitch to end the inning. The other team's pitcher/captain was calling me Troy Percival at that point. He was damned good and I respected him because he respected me. But he tried to play mind games with me too, telling the ump to watch my delivery, as it looked like my foot was coming off the rubber. It didn't faze me. :)

Tonight, I'm supposed to have my first beach volleyball game, but it could very well be rained out. We'll see. If it is, I'll go to St. Rita to see one of my little brother's final volleyball games. If I play, that'll be great and I'll go see his game maybe Saturday...we shall see. All in all, a very sports-filled day.