Sunday, May 25, 2003

Well, history was made today.

For the first time in my life, I stayed for a fireworks show at Comiskey/U.S. Cellular. EVER. You see, quite frankly, I hate fireworks. I think they're the dumbest thing anyone ever invented. You wanna make noise, then yell, but what's the sense in wasting your time to light a firecracker only to have it blow itself to smithereens? I never understood. Of course, part of that is because when I was little, I was afraid of them. The noise was too loud and scared me always. I rarely went to Sox games and when I was there, I became a big fan of small ball (White Sox win, but no home runs, please). Fourth of July was a living hell for me. I used to sit in the house on the Fourth while my family, grandparents and friends would sit on the porch and watch the M-80s and firecrackers and any legally-obtained-in-Indiana-but-illegally-brought-into-Illinois fancy fireworks go off, as rare as those were in my neighborhood. Meanwhile, I'd sit in the frontroom with the TV uselessly on because my fingers were in my ears. My arms were quite sore after that long a night. My ears too. It was the same with thunderstorms and balloons popping. I have no idea why those things scared me so much, but they did.

Eventually, I grew out of that, first the balloons, then the thunderstorms and then the fireworks, but it took a long, long time. I still, by habit, try to get as far away from firecrackers as possible, and night thunderstorms sometimes freak me out if the thunder's particularly loud (though not so much here in my cave). Now, the firecracker thing is not a bad thing, per se, as I won't have my hand blown off or anything. But sometimes I feel silly. Well, until today, I had come no closer to the Comiskey postgame fireworks than the parking lot of Comiskey. But today, I sat in the seats with my brother and cousins and it wasn't bad at all (which I figured it wouldn't be). Now, you still won't catch me sitting front row on the Fourth when some jackass is blowing off bricks of firecrackers, but at least I took this step.

Other than that, the Sox continued their losing ways, the bastards...I hope they get swept by the freakin' Tigers tomorrow, just so everyone can get really, really frustrated after they do NOTHING to fix the problem and deny there's a problem, though they'd just been swept by the Tigers. I mean, here's how bad it is: My brother and I are ripping the players at the park, joking about how bad they are and such to fellow fans around us. That's a practice Tim and I usually get pissed about and rip on the fans for--two-faced-ness. But man, they're really, really sucking right now.