Monday, April 14, 2003

So a coworker of mine here lost MAJOR points today, when he came up to me with the following conversation:
Coworker: "Did you tell some guy I went to Illinois and that he should call and ask me about some Illinois player?"
Me: "I don't think so. That doesn't sound familiar. Why?"
C: Well, some jerk called me and said you gave him my name.
Me: "I mean, it's not impossible that I did, but I really don't think I did. What did he say, exactly?"
C: He said you told him to call asking for me because I went to Illinois and would know about this player.
Me: It's possible, though, that he got your name and the Illinois reference off your ESPN chat thing and just pick another name here, and it happened to be mine.
C: Yeah, but I haven't chatted since December, so I don't think that happened. It would have been too much work.
Me: I don't know...that wouldn't be too much work for someone who wanted to know something.
C: "Well, I don't know if you did or not, but I don't appreciate that kind of thing, so don't do it in the future."
Me: "Um, OK. Like I said, I don't think I did. It sounds like you're accusing me."
C: "Well, I'm not accusing you, just letting you know."
Me: "Well, I hope you come down hard on everyone else the same way too."

He then was quiet...I was going to say something about giving me, his coworker, the benefit of the doubt over some jackass caller, but I didn't get the chance. I may talk to him later about this...but chances are, I'm not going to speak to him at all about it. I'm kind of dumbfounded, because he basically called me out on something sooooo stupid and meaningless. Well, he just emailed me to apologize, and I responded as such: "Hey man, no sweat...
I was a little dumbfounded because of the fact that, hey, we all get those calls that waste a bazillion hours, and I was surprised that I wasn't getting the benefit of the doubt over some boneheaded caller. But I'm fine now...Don't worry about it. Like I said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I said that, but it doesn't sound right, because I'm the type of guy that typically doesn't pass the buck when it comes to that kind of stuff, especially if it's just, "Oh, Mike's from Illinois, he'll know." Realistically, too, if I was going to pass him on to an Illini grad, it would have been Nolan, who's immersed in the draft on top of it. So anyway, don't worry about it. And, you don't have to forward him to me, necessarily, because he'll probably just hang up on me when I ask him who it is. But whatever..."

So, I guess all is good again. I thought I was going to have to be in a phony bad mood around this guy all day. Thank God. :)