Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Last night, I went out in the yard to let the dogs out and just stood there while they did their thing, enjoying the quiet and darkness around me. I do this every now and then--appreciate my surroundings...I go out to make sure there are no skunks or rabbits in the yard, and then just stand out there looking around and taking whatever in. If it's a clear night, I look at the stars, moon, etc. Well, last night was cool, because there was a layer of brittle ice on everything, the grass included. It was a neat symphony of sounds...crunching of the grass under my feet, wind blowing through the trees, making them creak and crack because they were covered with ice. It would have been better had it been clear out, but this was a nice sensory moment. Moonlight might have overdone it. But I like appreciating stuff like that--you might not get me to go to the Art Institute, but you can always get me to observe nature or my surroundings...Basically, stuff most people don't notice since they fly far too fast through the world.