Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I accepted the job, officially, about half an hour ago. Figure with the camping trip next week, I might as well get the ball rolling.

The good news said, now I can breathe a little bit and say something. It's probably something that doesn't NEED to be said, but I want to say it anyway...

First of all, I want to say thank you to all of you. Each and every one of you. Since February, when I got laid off, it's been tough for me. In a lot of ways. It's been especially tough trying to limit myself in many facets of my life. I've had to struggle with not being able to do things I used to do all the time, eat things I used to eat all the time, etc., etc.

It hasn't been easy. It hasn't been the hardest thing in the world either. But I made it through it. I hope that I've become a better, more disciplined person for it. I think I have, but we'll soon find out.

Unemployment broke me of some "bad" habits I had. That's why I suppose it was good for me. No longer do I go out all the time. I don't go to the bars that frequently anymore, nor do I go out for lunch or dinner all the time either. I don't splurge like a kid in a candy store when I go grocery shopping. I actually consider whether or not I'd eat or use whatever I'm buying and go from there.

Before unemployment, I always thought that fun had a price. But since being unemployed, I've realized that, hey, fun doesn't have to have a price. It just depends how you go about it or look at it.

I've also learned that I am capable of making a budget for myself and coming close to sticking to it. Did I have to borrow some money from my parents during this time? Sure. But now, the challenge is to stick to the budget I've set for myself during unemployment and start saving money for my future. It's the one stupid thing I never did in Bolingbrook. But that was then...I don't regret it, because I "was young" and had a lot of fun. But, I should have had SOME forward-looking sense. Oh well. That was then, and this is now.

Now is my chance to change that and fix things. To start preparing for the future while paying off the past. I'll be able to do that, without having to worry toooooo much about day-to-day life, so long as I don't accrue more bills. I'll still have my fun. If I stay focused and disciplined, it shouldn't be a problem. The time is now.

Well, officially, starting July 19.