Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Well, on the first few listens, Velvet Revolver's new album is solid. Several good songs...sounds like STP's older stuff with one distinct difference--guitar solos a la Slash. And they're quite good, I must say. But they didn't just put together a hard-rockin' album. There's some brooding, easy stuff too, which is nice. It'll be a nice addition to my collection.

Anthony, I meant to say thanks here publicly for the CD, but I'm trying to figure out for the life of me why you got me the album you did. :) It's good stuff (although the occasional whiny, screamy singing gets on my nerves a bit), so what was the reason? Just a good album in your opinion? Or did I say something here that tipped you off to this band?

Along with the Velvet Revolver CD I bought with birthday gift cards, I walked around Best Buy for a couple hours, collecting up stuff to buy, then culling the selections after much thought. I originally had picked up "High Fidelity" for $9.99 and "Chicago" for $21.99, when I went over to the CPU games. I was going to get Civilization III: Conquests, but can you believe this? Not a single Civ III game or expansion pack was on the shelves. I don't know what the hell was going on, but I looked EVERYWHERE. It wasn't worth asking, as I found a game I've wanted for a while, The Sims. I know, I'm a geek, no doubt. I decided to get that game plus three expansion packs that were bundled with it for $39.99. My thought was, even if I stop playing after a while, I'm more likely to get more use out of this game than out of DVDs. Plus, I can always pick those up anytime. It was not an easy choice, though, I must say. And I'm not that peeved to see they're coming out with "The Sims 2"...I'll be quite content with this one for a while, I'm sure.

I also saw this game that I really don't know why, but it caught my eye and I think I'd like to get it. It looks cool...it's "City of Heroes". There also were some really cool-looking WWII games and a Civilization-type game that looked like it had some real kick-ass graphics. But whatever.

Today, PFW softball lost our second straight game by one run. In good news though, my friend and former coworker, K-mac, returned to the field for the first time since last year...he's been really sick (like, to the Mayo Clinic and everything) since October, so it was great to see him. I hadn't seen or talked to him much since then.

Oh, and I leave you with this compare, contrast and vote accordingly:
On one hand, we have this.
On the other hand, we have this.
Where are all these new jobs, exactly?