Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Well, it's our awards issue this week, which means Andy gets to write at least one article. I'm writing our assistant coach of the year story. Now, I like writing stories. It's just the getting of interviews that pisses me off. I hate doing the damned legwork, because it's never convenient. And my thing is this: I'm giving you props and pub in my story, so you should be bowing to my every need to speak to me. However, it never works that way. I always feel as though I'm "bothering" the person. It makes my job a pain in the ass. Actually, it's not so bad as far as the interviewees go. I just can't stand the freakin' dance with PR folks that goes on. With them, it's often a pain. And it drives me nuts. And although we're national, we don't get much respect in terms of jumping up to talk to us. We're not ESPN or any kind of TV. It's funny how athletes are all about getting the TV exposure but don't realize that print exposure often is just as good. Whatever...I'm not looking forward to this. I never do.