Monday, September 08, 2003

Now, the recap...Friday...came home from work and debated meeting Luis and Monica at one of their friends' houses, but by the time I would have gotten to the party, I would have had to leave pretty soon after, because my cousin's boyfriend was spinning again at Street Side Cafe on Armitage and Kedzie. So I just went there around 10:30. Sat there for an hour by myself, which is OK, until someone I knew got there. Until then, I had nothing else to do but disgust myself and remember just why I thought "Natural Born Killers" is possibly the worst movie ever. Particularly subtitled, since the bar was loud. God, what a bad movie...Street Side was nice and empty, and when Mike started spinning, it was cool...Sat around and talked to my cousin...Dude next to me introduced himself and started talking football and baseball and Chicago with me...he was wondering whether the Sox won or not, and because I knew and was a Sox fan...a REAL South Sider (I kid you not, he said that)...he was happy to talk to me. However, then some chick sat next to him and he started talking to her. Which was fine. There, Barb, there's a random interaction for you... :)

I stuck around there until closing time...no one I invited showed up, but I didn't expect anyone to, since it was all last minute and stuff.

Saturday, I had the Sox game at 12:15...it was 1983 Reunion Weekend, which was cool because the old players were there. Even Tony LaRussa was at the dinner they had a night or two previous, which I thought was cool. I got waaaaaaaayyyyyy too much sun, and my topless torso was probably on national television because a Carl Everett home run was caught by this big dude right in front of me. I was preparing for it to go through his hands. But he made a nice, clean catch. Good for him. :)

After that, I ran home only to head back out to meet Christine, Bob, Sam and Duff for dinner at a Thai restaurant called Penny's Noodle Shop on Diversey and Sheffield and then on to the Pigskin Pub Crawl to meet Julia and Hopper and whoever else was to be at Durkin's. We tried, but couldn't convince Barb to join us. :) The food was great (and I'm not lying, Christine...and you were worried I wasn't psyched about it... :) ), I had some Thai Ravioli dish, which was really, really good, in my opinion, at least. We went to Durkin's at 8, when the pub crawl started, and it was really empty. But by the time I left (I don't even remember when that was), Durkin's was shoulder-to-shoulder people. We bought the pub crawl deal, but never left Durkin's. I mean, hey, I probably drank enough in the time I was there to make up for the price, or at least close to it, so that's OK. And it was well worth it.

Sunday, as you know, I worked, and now today, I'm waiting for a phone call from the Jacksonville radio show I do every Monday. Then, I'm off to look at apartments. Butch has been busting his ass on this apartment search, and I'm glad...I feel bad that I haven't had time to help out in the search, but with work being in-season now, it's kinda tough to call apartments from work. We're gonna go see a bunch this evening and maybe more tomorrow or Wednesday. Depends on what time and whether I can get to the Sox game on time or not. We shall see...there is one apt. I'd really like to check out that's on the docket for tomorrow, so maybe I can get the people to show it to us on Thursday instead. Who knows? All I know is, I'm pretty excited about this, yet nervous that I won't be able to afford it at the same time...without making massive, massive sacrafices in my life. Remember my favorite quote, from Daniel Burnham: "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood." Well, my blood has been stirred. :)

Anyway, if I need to make sacrafices, like any other time I'll adjust and I'll make do. And that will be just fine with me.