Friday, September 26, 2003

I had posted a blog earlier...but it didn't work. I don't even remember what it was about. I cleaned out my file crate today...got rid of all sorts of old invoices, receipts, paid bills, etc. I also discovered a bunch of CRC Productions stuff...and, even better, the lyrics to the song written by CRC band Happy Panic titled "SouthSide" my freshman year. It's copyrighted by them too, by the way. Oh yeah, and it kicks much ass. I bid on the opportunity to have a song written about/for/by me and done by Happy Panic. I won the bid, but I was terrible in that I just said, "I'm no good at that stuff, you guys write a song about me," even though the guys really didn't know me all that well. Well, it kicked immense amounts of ass (and the words still do, and I'm sure the tune does too)...and considering that I'm moving to the North Side in a week or two, I guess this is kind of appropriate...so here, for the public record (in case I ever lose the sheet :) ) they are:

SouthSide
by Happy Panic (1996)

Twenty years ago
Delivered by the midwife
Baby boy named Andy
Round and red as candy

Baby, Husband and Bride
Lived down on the Southside
Where the folks all take pride
In the place they reside

Have a certain culture
Dialect and sculpture
It's a special place in
Which they punch your face in

Growing in this climate
Andy gave a try at
Walking, but he missed stride
He fell on his Southside

And he fell so often that perceptions of the boy were not the same
So thenceforth Southside was no longer just his home but was his name

Went to school and got smart
Found a job at K-mart
Merchandise for lot less
Including an atlas

Southside became bothered
Soon as he discovered
That his hometown did rest
Smack dab in the Midwest

Seeing the bigger picture made his concept of the Southside come unfurled
He pledged to travel to the Southside, to the bottom of the world

Took an escalator
Over the equator
As far as he could go
Tierra del Fuego

Then he caught an ice floe
Made it to the South Pole
Where his exploits got him
Dangling off the bottom

Then the Earth's rotation sent him flying into space right past the Sun
And Planet X and shortly Southside realized he wasn't done

Dodging giant spaceships
And a solar eclipse
Swam right past the Southside
Of the solar system

With all he could muster
Left the stellar cluster
Then he thought, "Oh well crap"
Didn't bring a star map

Southside thought he reached the Southside of the Milky Way but
Then his girlfriend Donna came and told him, "Andy, you've been traveling upside down!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone knows of any way I can get a copy of that (I might have one somewhere...guess I'll find out as I clean and pack), somehow, let me know. I think it was performed just once when I was in attendance...don't know about any other times. I would be indebted to you for life if that happened. OK, well, I'd just say thanks and buy a couple beers. :)

Ah well...what did I say about me and nostalgia? :) I love it.