Saturday, May 10, 2003

Ahh...Thursday and Friday recap.
Thursday. Randy was here, but didn't get here until around 7:30pm. He had a marathon inteview, which is probably a good sign. We then met Luis at Cafe Iberico, a Spanish tapas bar on LaSalle north of the River North Nightlife area. I recommend this place to anyone. It's phenomenal. The sangria is great and the tapas is even better.

We didn't stay long and opted to meet Luis' girlfriend, Monica, and a couple of her friends at The Note where it was samba night every Thursday. Samba is a Brazilian dance, and the band there, Chicago Samba, was awesome. The Web site has clips, and the first one, Butacada, is very similar to two instrumental percussion songs they did that were just awesome. I had never heard anything so good...I was hoping they'd have a CD, but alas...I didn't see one. I'll probably be trying to convince Luis to go back there sometime.

Friday. Randy left for home because of the t-storms expected to be ravaging the Midwest today. I thought that was a good idea, though I was disappointed that he couldn't stay to see our 16-inch softball game and hang out at the bar with us afterward. Softball, I didn't do so well. For whatever reason, I had trouble handling this pitcher's pitches and went a pathetic 0-for-3 on the day, lining out to left, grounding into a fielder's choice and then, the icing on the cake. Down one in the bottom of the seventh with one out and runner on first and second, I grounded to third base, where the thirdbaseman stepped on the bag and doubled me off at first to end the freakin' game. I realized afterward that the pitcher had beaten me, because I got to thinking about her pitching instead of realizing that all I had to do was poke the ball into right field or ground out to the right side to move the runners over. Instead, I stupidly tried to pull the ball. Dumb. But, I guess we all have bad days.

Today, I'm not sure what I have planned, to tell you the truth. We'll see as it goes, I guess.