Saturday, May 03, 2003

Softball kicked ass last night. We were the home team, and after shaking off the rust in the top of the first, falling behind 9-0 before even coming up to bat. Then we showed excellent resilience and chipped away at it. After the first inning, the nine-run barrage during which we just couldn't catch the ball at all, we hunkered down and let in just six more runs. By the time our last raps came up in the bottom of the seventh, we were down 14-13. We got the one run to tie the game, but the inning ended with me being forced out at third by a hit right to the third-baseman. So we went to extra innings and let in another run. But we didn't panic at all, scored the tying run on a throwing error by their team and moving the winning run into scoring position at third on a weak grounder by one of our girls. Our power hitter stepped up with one out and runners on second and third. I was concerned he would try to kill it and pop out, but he lined a base hit into left field, easily scoring the winning run. It was great.

Now, if we can play that way from now on, we'll be great. Our guys last year used to all try to beat the crap out of the ball and hit a home run every time up, but yesterday we popped out to the outfield maybe three times the whole game. Everything else was ground balls. Overall, we ran the bases far better than we did last year and forced our opponents into making mistakes. It was great.

But yeah...now I have work to do, after sleeping and then going to get something to eat. I'm pissed, because today is the only day off I'm getting this week, which really has soured me on working at PFW, especially since I didn't find out I'm going to have to work on Monday until, oh, Thursday. I know many of you pull one-day weekends on occasion, but this is not something I want to keep doing...if it continues, stay tuned, because I don't get compensated for this bullcrap. :)

And I have about an hour to get some work done before heading to the Sox game and then to a bar for a birthday party afterward.