Monday, February 10, 2003

OK, before I really set my opinion on these things, I want to hear others' thoughts...is there a problem with these things? Are they harmless? Are they cool? I have thoughts, but I want to hear others' thoughts...

What I'm talking about are "Homies," those little figurines that "represent" black people found in several vending machines next to the Sour Grape gumballs and Sweetarts vending machines across America.
Personally, I didn't have a major opinion on them, simply because, you know what? I don't know who "collects" them...I didn't think much about them until I saw that the line has expanded, now to "Mijos," a line of Hispanic figures. I mean, who buys these? Is it rich, ignorant kids with no exposure to "real" blacks or Hispanics? Or do kids in urban settings, who interact with blacks and Hispanics (those that do) all the time actually think these are cool...what's next? Polacks? Micks? Or just general Honkies? Or, is this like with TV, where the only way to get culture into the mix is to stereotype it? Or is it perfectly harmless? I'll share my thoughts later...they're pretty innocent.