Friday, October 24, 2008

Please sell me something at a deep discount...

For whatever reason, this never posted...odd.

Do I have a sign on my forehead that says, "I want to hear about what you can sell me," by chance?

I've refrained from posting about this, probably because I'm mostly just floored by the reality of it all. Anyway, in advance of my Halloween party, Gina and I decided to look into getting the TV for the basement family room BEFORE the family room is finished (since it's got a ways to go). I was simply researching TVs. Found one on Best Buy's Web site that I thought I liked and thought would be affordable.

So, two Tuesdays ago, my work friend Frank and I went over to BBuy at lunch, because I wanted to see what the set looked like in person. He does part-time stuff at BB and is pretty damned knowledgeable on the whole electronics thing. I was not even close to planning to buy ANYTHING. Really, I wasn't...just was checking out what the one looked like in person.

Long story short...they didn't have the model in the size I wanted on the floor, but they had a smaller version. Looks great. Manager then proceeds to say that if I wanted, he could sell me a brand new in-the-box of the model and size I wanted and get me a deal. I was skeptical and under no pressure, since I wasn't going to buy it.

He makes me the deal of a lifetime, and of course, I couldn't resist. No way I was getting that price again...

Turned out, I got the TV I wanted, a really nice stand, delivery of both and the four-year service plan for the regular price of the TV (and that includes tax). They gave me the two pieces for about 10 percent above cost (employees, I'm told, get 5 percent above cost).

So, last week, I got (to borrow a much-used phrase from our group) a BIG-ASS TV. We proceeded to play Nintendo Wii on said TV, and it was PHENOMENAL.

Now, if I can just get my basement done, I can hook up the cable and all that stuff, and then I'll be in heaven. :)