Monday, September 22, 2008

First butterflies, now, a hummingbird!

I can't believe it, but I actually saw, yesterday, a hummingbird in my yard, hovering around my butterfly bush for a brief second before it realized I was in the yard and zipped away.

It startled me somewhat, as it flew up to the flower and hovered for a second, then flew away. But I said, "Whoa, what's that?" then realized it was a hummingbird right after it had zipped away.

Unbelievable. I had a hummingbird feeder hanging on my tree at my parents' house in the city when I was growing up and never saw one. So, although I'm a little "further out" than my parents, I'm still in the city, and thus was surprised. I wonder if it was migrating for the winter, or what? Maybe a bird expert reading this might know? :)

Anyway, that was great...and makes me feel awesome to know that, in some way, my garden is helping nature, even if it's a little bit.