Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Best. Vacation week. Ever.

Wow. Just, wow...some news and notes from late Tuesday of what is turning out to be the best vacation week ever.

-- Obviously, go Sox, first and foremost. It's just amazing how much of a "flip the switch on" kind of team this has been over the past three games. Just unbelievable.
-- I couldn't believe that this was the White Sox first 1-0 win this year (and, it turns out, they didn't win a 1-0 game last year either). Pretty interesting, considering the 2005 Championship team lived off winning those games and won several "mile marker" games 1-0.
-- I had never seen a home run ball hit to the bronze statue concourse in dead center field before, as Jim Thome's was tonight. I honestly didn't know it was reachable.
-- I hope, I hope, I hope that Javier Vazquez has learned something from these past three games. We're going to need him to come up big again and hopefully often, very soon, if not in Game 1.
-- So the week starts with a Bears game visit and a win (and some cool pictures too), and will now end with me and my little bro going to Game 3 because Tim will be heading back from vacation in Florida at that time. I sure as hell hope that I have further great, great news then. But what a week. Especially since I probably wouldn't have cared too much about the other games if the Sox didn't make it. Now, I'm tuned in.
-- I totally regret not having bought tickets for today's game while at yesterday's game and then going tonight. Damn, that would have been totally sweet. Ah well, I'm sick enough from all the sporting events the past three days. No sense in overdoing it.
-- Suck it, Twins. Next time, make sure when you celebrate like you've won the World Series that you close the door 100 percent. Mistake of youth.
-- To anyone who says that the game should have been played in Minnesota, because the Twins beat the Sox 10-8 in the overall season series, I say that you obviously haven't paid attention to the century-plus of baseball. A coin flip, though crappy, is the rules. If they change them, so be it. If not, those are the rules.
-- Suck it, New York. I've been waiting ages to say that. No offense to most of the New Yorkers reading this, of course, as you're intelligent, civilized sports fans who have earned my respect. To the rest, suck it.
-- I remember how awesome it was in 2005, that the fun of celebratory baseball led directly into the extended holiday season (starting with Halloween, etc.), that I'm totally energized by the fact that we could have a similar run here in Chicago (one way or another) this year. I love it!
-- Go Cubs! Because as long as you keep winning, fewer will pay attention to the Sox, meaning all the pressure and scrutiny will be off them. Plus, yes, I would like to see an all-Chicago series. Maybe.
-- Spur of the moment, with little basis for this prediction other than my own knowledge and feeling (as well as not knowing the Sox's starters and such), Sox win the ALDS in four, stealing Game 1 while the Rays are a bit star-struck and winning their two home games. I totally reserve the right to change this prediction by gametime Thursday. :)