Wednesday, May 03, 2006

--3 days.

--This is not the kind of thing you like to see three days before your wedding. :)

--Tonight, we have our final meeting with the reception hall. We give the seating arrangements and final count, and then it's into the home stretch. We also give them the favors, table cards, etc., etc. Everything, basically, that we need at the hall on that day.

--I did up all the table cards yesterday...and let me tell you what a bitch that was. Computers, really, need to learn to talk to each other, period. In order to get my Quark design off my old Mac PowerPC, I had to do the following:
1a. Upload scanned photos to both my Mac and my PC at home from burned CD.
1. Save to serial-port, Mac formatted Zip disk.
2. Take to work and ask if we had any Zip drives anywhere.
3. Luck out that they have ONE on the premises, but no cords, and, oh, it's a USB port.
4. Go home, get USB cord from printer and take to work the next day, along with power cord from my own Zip drive.
5. Ask coworker with a Mac if I could use his CPU to upload Quark file to email to myself.
6. Forward email on my PC (without Quark program) to a designer's Mac.
7. Take CD of images and basically reinsert photos into table cards on designer's Mac. All 165 or so.
8. Redesign fonts, because Times sucks.
9. Burn Quark file back on to CD, for safekeeping.
10. Convert Quark file to high-resolution PDF and burn onto CD also.
11. Take CD home, open PDF file and print on PC with photo printer.

Suffice to say, despite the pain in the ass overall (which, I know, I asked for it), they look fantastic--just what I had envisioned. In fact, maybe, just maybe, I'll invest some money in a real Mac and legit Quark and "advertise" my wares in order to make a few extra bucks. :) But we'll see... :)

--It looks like we'll have a bit of a chill in the air, comparatively speaking, on Saturday...but as long as there's no rain, I'll be happy, because we don't really have a good backup plan to the Botanical Gardens if it rains. Thankfully, the worst forecast I've seen to this point has been "scattered showers," and I think we'll be OK with that.

--Meanwhile, amongst all of this, I need to find a way to focus and work. Ha!