Thursday, June 30, 2005

--310 days.

--Lots of death among this set of blogs lately. One of my Dad's best friends growing up (and through the years, though it's been distant, given that the guy lives in Laz's neck of the woods now), died of congestive heart failure the other day. He was one of those "uncles," you know, not related, but an uncle nonetheless. He grew up next door to my Dad (and the guy's sister is my Mom's best friend from high school on...that's more or less how my parents met), and they used to kick around the neighborhood together. My Dad still lives in the house, obviously, as does the sister, and my Dad's friend moved a few blocks away to start his family. We went to school with several of his kids until they all moved to a farm in NWI. So my parents are heading out there today for the wake and tomorrow for the funeral.

--All this death talk, and I figured I'd throw in my two cents about death. I would like for my family and friends to have the wake and funeral, because that's the time to cry and moan and let it all out, and it's important for those feelings to be let go...what better time to do it than a wake or funeral. Isn't it funny that the most acceptable place to cry is a wake or a funeral. Even the most hardened man or woman can cry and no one would think twice about it. Then, of course, the luncheon, to "warm up the crowd," and then, hopefully, there will be a gathering somewhere, where folks can catch up, relax, the kids (if there are any) can run around and play, and everyone can just start feeling happy again. Happy that they knew me or got to experience something stupid I did or fun or whatever. And of course, they'd serve White Castle. :) No, just kidding...but I too would like some fun after...but I do want to be buried, not cremated, only because there wouldn't be enough of me to spread everywhere I'd want to be spread. :) Plus, I don't think there's one single place that "sums up" my existence, other than the South Side of Chicago...and that's a big place.

--Speaking of the South Side...I get to go to J a y s today to tour the plant...this is another one of those cool things I get to do. I grew up eating their chips...we were a J a y s family as far as chips go. So it'll be really cool. I drive down there at lunch and then drive all the way back up here for my co. softball team's final regular-season game. Should be a blast...