Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Quite honestly, I'm really tired of broadcast news.

It baffles me that the top story right now is this whole Schiavo thing. Nevermind that the biggest high school shooting this side of Columbine just happened on Monday up in Minnesota. Remember how many days/weeks/months was devoted to Columbine?

Here, the same general story is 2-slot news to some idiots in Florida who can't get along about the future of a loved one and, for some stupid reason, believe the federal government should be involved in their petty in-law differences. Why should I care about who "wins"? What benefit is the country going to gain from solving this case at the highest levels? Why should any of us care, other than feeling bad for the poor, incapacitated woman? And you can feel bad for her whether she lives on or dies, because either way, it's a sad story.

Personally, I know that, once I'm married, Gina's in charge if I were to get into that situation, and I would hope and pray that my parents/family/friends stand by her decision(s). It's as simple as that. I can't sit here and say that I'd want to live on in a vegetative state or that I would want them to pull the plug or whatever, because really, it's hard to say. I would put my life in Gina's hands. So I guess that's why I don't understand why the Schiavo thing is any sort of news whatsoever. The husband was legally in charge, end of story. Otherwise, tough break.

You know, people pull the plug on incapacitated relatives all the time, and sometimes, not every living person agrees with the decision. Yet we don't have the nation wrapped up in it or the President getting involved.