Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Well, I'm supposed to go see "Les Miserables" tomorrow with Gina, her former roommate and her boyfriend. It'll be the first time for me ever going to a "professional" theatrical show (I avoid using the word "play" to offend anyone out there, since I know little about theatre) in a "real" theatre.

It's funny, because I think Gina is truly concerned about whether or not I'll have a good time...I've told her from Day One that I'm more than willing to check out a show, so long as the story is understandable and interesting. Not too different, really, from my movie strategy, truthfully.

It should be understood that, I'm dis-cultured in theatre not because I never liked it. Hell, my thought was, whatever. I figured someday I'd go to a show, but it wasn't a big draw. That's not because I didn't like it growing up, I just had no access to it, truthfully. It wasn't something that a working-class, barely-making-it family could really afford, ya know? Hell, I think the last time I went to a run-of-the-mill movie with my parents was at the Drive-In when I was really little, for Gremlins. Actually, no, I know I went to the drive-in with them for some movie at the exact time that "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Batman" were out. But I forget what we saw...maybe it was "UHF," I'm not sure. I know it wasn't "Indiana..." though, because I actually read that book before seeing the movie, years later.

ANYWAY...my point is, I'm sure it will be cool and fun and everything. Will I spit out $75 a seat frequently for such a thing? Hell no. But on occasion, if the story's good, then it's worth it. Besides, after seeing "Chicago" the movie version, I still wish I would have acted on the desire to introduce myself to the stage with that musical when it was out. I actually considered it back then, but just never got around to it. Oh well...