Monday, March 21, 2005

Kim recently posted about Nine Inch Nails and how they've gotten soft over time. I agree with the fact that they have gotten softer (granted, though, they still kick much ass on several songs--the newest, yet-to-be-released album not included, for obvious reasons). That said, I think that's what I like most about them...they've "experimented" a bit with their sound.

For me, the music and "noise" and subtleties of the sound was the most enjoyable thing about NIN. Not everyone takes them for that, which is cool. I guess that's the coolest thing about music (the only art I really "relate" to"), is that you can enjoy it on many levels.

I really have enjoyed all their albums. Of course, some songs really suck, as with any artist. But most NIN stuff I like. Same thing with Stone Temple Pilots...you listen to "Core," and then anything else they've done, and you wonder where that hard-rock band went. It's still evident in some of the songs they've done, but they got really pondering and smooth, and have really refined their sound.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the hard-ass stuff by either artist. But songs off NIN's last album (the double disc) or off any of STP's albums since "Purple," are awesome to me. Personally, I'd rather hear my favorite bands tinker and tweak and even, at times, try some "revolutionary" things as far as their sound goes. It's cool to me. Bands who never change, to me, lose interest.

But I digress...feel free to rant about your favorite bands and how they went in the crapper or commend them for being experimental. :)