Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Miami Beach/South Beach is nice.

I have sunburn on my arms and back of my neck.

I took probably the most turbulent flight on Sunday than I've ever taken. Never before has it been so turbulent on a flight I've been on that the pilot got on the intercom and ordered the waitresses to sit down. Rightfully so, because for a brief moment, it felt like we were falling out of the sky. Plus, we landed all weird, crooked and tilted sideways even. Not fun, but I survived.

On the way back, it was much smoother, but I had to sit in magical Seat 30A. Now, on an American Airlines Super80 plane, 30A is way in the back, on the left side of the plane, BEHIND the galley. There's one row of seats crammed in there, and that's it. I didn't even know those seats existed. When I asked the flight attendant where I could put my carry-on bag with my book in it, she said it would probably fit under MY seat and apologized about my having to sit there, mumbling something about the stupid TWA planes. So I guess TWA planes had this "feature" or something. Whatever. I was only able to see out one of the two windows next to me (at least I got those) because the engine blocked the other one. It's too bad too, because I got some FANTASTIC views...we flew just east of Indianapolis, so I saw the downtown and "metro area" from about 34,000 feet. Since I'd been there before, it was cool to see it from that perspective. Also, we landed from the east, so we approached from over Lake Michigan. That means we traveled due east of Chicago, and I had a brief glimpse of the entire city from over the Lake, running parallel to the shoreline. THAT was cool as shit. Sorry, I'm easily amused. I also am 99 percent sure I picked out our condo during the approach, and I was easily able to pick out Gina's school.

I thought it would be louder, being up against the engine, but amazingly it was not. I had a lot of leg room, but really, I had no idea anything beyond my little five-row line of sight. At least I didn't have anyone sitting next to me in 30B.

Ah well...I'd tell you all about Miami Beach, but I'll save that for another time...if I remember. :)