Friday, March 25, 2005

I may not have always demonstrated excellent forward-thinking in the world of finance, but I've made phenomenal strides in the last year, no doubt.

Case in point, yesterday I signed up for uPromise. I don't know who here has heard of it, but it's basically a college-savings program that gives you pennies on the dollar for certain purchases to use in the future for a child's tuition (or your own even). Now, I'm not saying I'm having a kid tomorrow, but it's better to start earlier. My mom's been doing it for 2 years, and she has all of $50 saved up. So, it takes time. The nice thing too is that you don't have to specify the child to start earning. That is good, since I don't actually have a child right now. :)

My credit card debt is seemingly under control, and if I keep on the track I'm on, all three of my cards should be paid off in the beginning of 2007. Of course, with the wedding coming up, that could change, but Lord knows I'm avoiding charging that stuff as much as I can.

I just mailed in my last car payment yesterday, so that's a little extra money I can put toward other things. I'm just crossing my fingers that the car holds up for a few more years, so I don't have to buy one to replace it and put myself back in auto-loan world.

And, I've started actually using my head when it comes to points and rewards programs. Hopefully, I'll do enough traveling by next summer that our honeymoon plane tickets will be free or at least part of them will be, and our hotel will give us a few nights free too, based on my rewards and frequent flier miles. But we'll see...it all depends where we go too.

So, I'm happy about that situation, that's for sure. Of course, that's typically when the floor falls out beneath me.

"Les Miserables" was good. Good story, good performance, good seats and a generally good time. However, I'm not rushing back out to see musicals all that quickly. First of all, I don't think I like the "constant singing" musical, as Les Mis is. Three hours of singing got tedious...if I wanted to hear chanting, I'd go to church. Second, I don't know if it was the acting or the sound or because everything was being sung, but there were several dozen times when I had NO idea what they said. There were times when a majority of the people were laughing at something, and I was like, "what?" So I missed out on a lot of jokes because of that. Finally, although our seats were good, I was having a hard time figuring out exactly who was singing at times and that set me back a bit in terms of what was going on. But that's because many of the voices were similar, and this was only during the full entourage type scenes, where there was no spotlight involved.

Probably the next musical I go to will be one where the dialogue isn't all sung, and Gina knows to look for one like that.

All in all, it was impressive, and I'm still not anti-theatre...but we'll just have to pick and choose carefully, I guess.