Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Starbux Princess asked what happened? Well, I'm not entirely sure...I know that I definitely have to work for another week (though, yes, I don't really HAVE to, but you know...) and then there's a two-week notice after that. What I do in those two weeks though, I'm a bit unclear.

Basically, what happened in the grand scope is my company, which was bought back from the evil corporation that owned it by the head guy and an investor group last year, did not make money. So, the banks and investors that own us wanted to see cuts. Two editors were axed, I was one of them, though I was second-highest in seniority of about seven on my level. Theories abound that I was due a promotion/raise and that's why I was cut instead of the second-lowest guy on the totem pole, but whatever. He deserves the job too...sometimes moreso than me, honestly (and I'm not just being nice...).

At any rate, I was brought into the head guy's office with the other editor and told the news...I was pretty dumbfounded, truthfully. I couldn't even ask any questions because it caught me off-guard. But hey, these things typically do that. :)

They're going to help me find a new job--and based on history (they had big layoffs once before), they WILL and they'll probably be successful. I got calls from three of my fellow editors, and I guess the whole editorial staff was pretty shocked that I was let go. They wanted to know if I wanted to go out for a beer or two tonight, but I just wanted to relax and let things soak in...it still hasn't fully.

But see, I don't think you'll see me get furious or depressed over this. I was there for 3.5 years, roughly, without much change, truthfully. It was an awesome job and great, but maybe it's time to make a change. Since I'm not the kind to do that kind of thing myself, maybe this is somebody up there shoving me in the direction of what is better for me. Who knows? I'm the kind of person who believes that things happen for a reason, and typically good, and that everything works out eventually, no matter how bad things seem.

Think of it this way: I have a world of opportunity sitting in front of me right now--a clean slate. I could even start all over if I wanted to...we'll see. There's much to think about, sort through and do.

So now, it's on to find a new job...the question is, what?