Thursday, February 19, 2004

Nothing new to report, really. Still going between anger, sadness, happiness, relief, shock, etc. about getting laid off...none of these "states" really lasts long, so no worries. I found out that my supervisor understood things the same way...that I'd work until next Wednesday and then I'd be "off the clock" as it were, although I'd be paid for the next two weeks. I wouldn't have to (and probably wouldn't except to get my things and clean up and use the "facilities" to print/copy/send out things) go into work at all those two weeks.

Most of the guys at work apparently are not happy that I'm getting laid off. That's nice to hear/see. It means something. They've said that they truly are going to try to bring me back. That's fine with me and that's great. Obviously, and I told them this, I can't wait around though, and they understand. I also said that, who knows, I might not come back--it will all depend on how good or bad the job is in comparison to the one I just lost.

I have a clean slate now...My first priority at this early stage is to stay in journalism, preferredly editing, and stay in Chicago. From there, we'll see where it goes. As cool as it would be to try to get, say, a job with an NFL team or something along those lines, I don't see that as happening. Besides, that would be an immense time commitment.

I've found two jobs I'll probably apply for...one looks like a day-side job out in Elmhurst editing a catalog. Looks interesting enough in that it's pretty much straight editing and some writing. Nothing exciting by any means, but it looks like the type of job that just might pay well. So I'm going to see. The other is a copyeditor job at one of the majors here. The problem with that is that I'd bet (though I don't know for sure) that it would be a night-side job. That would be undesirable, but not out of the question. I just wouldn't want to go back to that if I didn't have to.

So we'll see...I have a couple other leads. I need to have the guys read over my resume tomorrow though so I can send them out ASAP at least for these two jobs.

Now I need to figure out how to apply for unemployment so it kicks in when I'm done...as well as figure out insurance, 401k, etc.

And I fear saying this...but I'm worried now about my scheduled vacations this year...I had already put in for and planned for two trips...now, what will happen? I really fear this...I best be able to at least take a late-summer vacation at whatever new job...I can live without the post-Easter deal, maybe. I guess I'll just tell them I had this planned way ahead of time...we'll see.