Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Music recommendation: If you haven't heard the Foo Fighters latest album, "One By One," I'd suggest getting it. Or at least find and listen to the following songs on it: (on the radio already)..."All My Life," "Low" and "Times Like These" (not the acoustic crap, the album version). not yet on the radio..."Have It All," "Halo" and "Overdrive."

Foo Fighters' albums are very interesting. They are one of my top five all-time favorite bands--I have every album and many of the import singles (b/c they're good about putting unreleased songs on them, not just live or acoustic or remix crap). But, and I know this ahead of time, which is good...I typically buy the album the day it comes out, listen to it a couple times around and then put it aside...their albums are the kind that grow on me and eventually become my favorites but don't usually blow me out of the water on first listen. But, honestly, I could put all my Foo Fighters albums in my CD player and play them straight through and not skip tracks for the most part. They are quite talented as far as musical talent goes, and their lyrics are pretty good too. But I like their sound more than anything, especially what it's evolved into...they're not a cheap Nirvana punk knockoff so much anymore, which is kind of what they were when they started (lead singer is Nirvana's former drummer)...they're more straight rock, with an almost smooth finish to them. It's cool. Check out those songs though, particularly "Times Like These" and the nonreleased ones. The others on the radio aren't nearly as good.