Monday, December 22, 2003

The evolution of an illness in myself always is an intriguing thing to me. Yeah, it sucks to get sick, but to me, it's always a partially interesting study as to how my body reacts to sickness.

Today, I woke up, throat marginally scratchy, but not bad--I thought it was just a "dry house" scratchy throat. It went away very quickly. I think now it was the telltale sign of a cold coming on.

Typically, when I get colds, I know they're coming--I get either a very specific headache or very specific sore throat. I know those pains by heart as indicators that I'm getting a cold. Well, today I went to church (again!) and was fine and went to work and was fine.

Until around 5pm, that is. That's when I started feeling somewhat sluggish. Then, I just started sneezing and coughing every now and then. It hit me about as fast as the food poisoning hits Capt. Oveur in "Airplane!"

But as hard as it hit me at first, it's been a slow decent into the full-fledged cold. I've gotten progressively worse, but at a very slow rate. Only about 15 minutes ago did I start getting the chills.

This really sucks though. Gina and I were gonna go to the Museum of Science and Industry tomorrow to see the Christmas Lights of the World display or whatever it's called. Plus, I want to see the "new" model train layout that is supposed to kick ultimate ass. But now, that's going to be a "game-day decision" when I wake up tomorrow.

I better not get sick for Christmas. I don't want to be sick at Gina's parents' house on Christmas Eve, when I'm going to be hanging out with her family all evening up to Midnight Mass, which I will then attend with them, to listen to the choir sing (and be jealous ;) ).

And, I don't want to be sick for Christmas Day either, obviously. That's my family's day, and I'd hate to ruin it for them. And I can't be sick on Tuesday either, because I'll probably have to do all my present wrapping then. Plus, I have some shopping yet to do...I can't be sick. I can't.

But it seems I will.