Friday, August 08, 2003

(With apologies to Jim, who wrote something similar months ago) I wrote a poem. Enjoy.

I need to get away.
I need to get away from work.
I need to get a way around the terrors of the mind.
I need to mind those things in order to get around them.
I need to find a quiet place, enjoy my surroundings and let it all melt away.
I need to sit on the beach at night and look at the stars and the moon and the planets and dream and think and wonder.
I need to observe a meteor shower and be amazed and filled, again, with wonder.
I need to say an important prayer when I arrive at the campsite this time, instead of getting caught up in the anger of being late like last time.
I need to assess myself.
I need to not come to a conclusion, but clear myself up on some things about myself.
I need to communicate better, since so many people I think really know me seem not to understand me at all.
I need to wander the darkness of the island and play night-time capture the flag.
I need to figure out how to grow up without acting my age.
I need to figure out where I'm headed.
I need to figure out if that's really where I want to go, and if not, how do I jump these tracks and land on new ones?
I need to figure out if the casualties from a proverbial train wreck like the potential one above would be worth the risk?
I need to sleep amongst the trees.
I need to not be interrupted in the night by some damn animal that shouldn't even be there in the first place.
I need to stop the empty spots in my life from growing and consuming me.
I need to think of ways or find people to fill the empty spaces in my life so they stop growing.
I need to fill the empty space in my savings and checking accounts, not because money buys happiness, but because it frees my mind.
I need to stare at a campfire and lose myself in the flickering.
I need to recharge my batteries, because it's going to be until at least March until I can take another long vacation.
I need to find my own direction.
I need to find the courage to go in that direction.
I need to find the courage to believe and persist in that direction.
I need to jump any canyons that might be in the way and never look down.
I need to remember who I am or rediscover myself.
I need to know why.