Monday, August 04, 2003

I just had a great radio moment...apparently, one of our former contributors has done his top 50 players regardless of position for another paper. I had not seen this, and the host, whose show I've done since I've been here and is really cool, brings up the top 10. He goes through the list and mentions that Tony Gonzalez is tied for second. I say, "What?" He says, "Wait, Todd Heap is tied with Jeremy Shockey for 9th."

I just bust out laughing, seriously laughing, live on the radio, for a good 30 seconds. I'm still laughing now. Todd freakin' Heap is among the nine best players in the NFL, regardless of position (ALL POSITIONS)? Are you KIDDING me? We spent five minutes on my befuddlement and why I thought that was nuts, let alone putting a tight end in the top 15, period. Tight ends are EXTRA...extra blocker or extra pass-catcher. They are not integral to the team's success. T-Gon is a phenomenal player, no doubt, but the Chiefs can live without him, as could any other team. In fact, until they took the focus off him and put it on a capable back like Priest Holmes, they were average. Now, the only tight end who would belong in or around the top 10 would be T-Gon, but the others, no.

Todd freakin' Heap. Boy, that made for good radio. I still can't believe it. I'm off to Hawkeye's for 10-cent wings and camping planning.