Thursday, July 10, 2003

All right. Now that's what I'm talking about. Yesterday in volleyball was the most fun I had playing the game all season, because we played well. By association, I played well too. We actually won all three games after losing all three in each of the past two weeks. So that was very good.

As I was driving to the game, on North Avenue, I was sitting at a stoplight, and a blind man was crossing the street with the help of his friend (or just some good samaritan, I don't know). They went to a little produce shop and the blind man sat outside. I had my music blaring with the windows down, I wondered the following: They say that blind people have super-heightened hearing. So I wondered, though I was a good 45 yards from him and his back was turned, if he was able to hear my music over the din of traffic from that distance. Then I wondered if he could hear parts of the music I couldn't because I took it for granted. Then I wondered if he liked Econonline Crush, which is what I was listening to. Probably not.

I went to Hawkeye's after volleyball, and met some German guy and some Russian guy. These guys are not "foreign exchange" students per se, but they are here going through brain surgeon school. That's right, they're brain surgeons. The German guy, Chris, really talked it up with me...we talked about sports in general. I told him where I worked and he just wanted to know everything about the upcoming football season. He wanted to know my thoughts on NFL Europe. For the most part, it was an interesting, but useless conversation. It's too bad Luis wasn't there, because he would have struck up such a conversation with these guys, on world politics and France vs. Germany vs. Russia vs. the U.S. And then I could have just sat there and ignored them or nodded my head. But I had to try to talk about international affairs at times. Man, if you want to see me really submit in conversation, talk about that stuff. That's way out of my realm, and I know it. And sadly, I learned nothing from the conversation...at least nothing I can remember at the moment.

Ah well, back to work I go.