Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Well, softball was rained out today, for obvious reasons. So now they'll make up the last game of the year against the worst team in the league next Tuesday without me, because I'll be at the All-Star Game. The good news is this: We had a game earlier this year that we won in our last at-bat against one of the better teams. Earlier in the game, there was an argument on a call by the ump by the other team. They, like babies, decided to protest. I mean, it's a recreational league, right? Who really cares that much?

So we looked back at the call they were protesting and counter-protested, saying their protest should be thrown out, because the call they were complaining about had no bearing on the final score (in fact, we didn't score a single run in that inning). Well, today we noticed their protest was overturned and the win was returned to us, creating a four-way tie for first place in the league at 6-3 with one game remaining. Thing is, only four teams make the playoffs, I guess (though I have my doubts...I'm going on what I've been told), so really, we're in. That's huge coming off year after year of shittiness.

Because of the rainout, I came home and relaxed a bit...cooked a meal and actually plan on taking the leftovers to work or having them for dinner one of these days. We'll see. I watched the Sox-Tigers game, thinking that maybe the Sox wouldn't let me down. What do you think happened? I really don't understand Jerry Manuel one bit (and, I did never call him a genius when the Sox beat the pants off the Cubs and Twins...he was still a moron, the players were just playing better). We get this guy Carl Everett, right? He's one of two All-Stars on the Sox (a veritable steal of an All-Star player, since he just joined the club), and he sits today. Yes, Aaron Rowand and Willie Harris have played well, but come freakin' on. I'm tired of Manuel juggling the lineup every damn day...you play your stars and they play all the time. Period. The other guys fill off-the-bench roles, and if they don't like it, hit the waiver wires. So, here's the solution: Trade Carlos Lee for another starting pitcher and put Everett in left field every day, with Rowand and Harris platooning in center. Those two are the only players who shouldn't be going every day, though a case could be made for a Jose Valentin-Tony Graffanino platoon. And don't give me this "Sox have tons of flexibility" argument...how can a player get into a rhythm at the plate and in the field when he's sitting one of every four?

Damn. Sorry...had to say it here...it's just killing me as a fan.

Anyway, I also piddled around the workshop a bit. Now I feel tired, so I'm going to maybe surf a little, shower (to get the sawdust off me) and then hit the sack. Again though, we'll see.