Tuesday, June 17, 2003

So I got home late last night, and there was a message from Gerard saying to wake him up because he wanted to talk to me. I did not see Kazak around, so I got to worrying slightly as I woke him up and he went into a story about how Kazak was outside and came in the house and was acting like he was trying to get something out of his mouth, like it was stuck...maybe a piece of wire or something. But Gerard did not see anything in his mouth. He considered taking him to the emergency room, but didn't because he wasn't choking or anything like that.

So I went downstairs and Kazak had manuevered his choke chain into his mouth, I guess trying to use it as some sort of tool. I took that off him, and then he started flipping out in front of me, trying to get whatever it was out of his mouth, once again. I checked his gums and teeth and saw nothing, then laid him down on my lap and pried his mouth open. He had a 1/4-inch wide stick wedged across the roof of his mouth, stuck between his teeth. I guess he must have been chewing on one of the weedy trees outside, bit through it and it got stuck up there. So I had to get Gerard to hold him down, because he was squirming, and then I had to pull the stick out. It wasn't too hard to do because Kazak realized, I think, that I was helping him. No idea why the hell he's eating the trees outside or chewing on them. I guess he's bored, but there's nothing more I can do for him outside except give him the 1/4 acre to run around in. Any toys, he chews apart, and that's no good. So I guess we'll see what happens...he's gotten into the neighbor's yard twice in the last week, and of course, the killing of the squirrel a while ago, so I don't know what's eating him up. I've even spent some good, quality play and walk time with him recently, so it's not like I'm ignoring him. Hopefully, it passes without incident. I just can't wait until I get my own yard someday...then I can regulate things better.