Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Man was it cold for volleyball, but I was more prepared for it this week than last, so it wasn't terrible. However, the wind was pretty bad. Really, it cost us two games, because we played our worst against the wind. Still, as usual, it was fun. I actually played a lot better after we requested that they inflate the ball prior to the game. It didn't hurt nearly as much (though the ball was still a little underinflated) and I was able to actually get something on my hits. So that was cool. I also kicked up plenty of sand into my face on a few great diving hits...I had sand in my mouth, eyes, ears and nose...not to mention my shoes, which I left on this week and will probably proceed to leave on throughout, or at least until it gets really warm.

Otherwise, today was an edit-heavy day at work. Those aren't so bad. Much of the day at work was spent talking about the upsetting loss in softball the previous night. His thoughts, his actions during the event, etc. We found out that my coworker and high-school buddy actually broke his finger on a play, when he tried to catch the ball with two hands but put his bare hand in front of the glove too soon. They stopped the game because he was walking in, blood pouring from his hand. Someone asked me what was going on, and I held up my hand and said, "His hand is bleeding." Then I noticed blood on my hand, and looked at the ball, which had already been thrown back to me, and it had a nice splattering on it. I guess he broke the tip of his finger bone or something. That sucks for a journalist. :) At any rate, I hope all this postgame talk and "comforting", if you will, translates into a kickass performance next week, as we're playing another pretty solid team. We shall see, we shall see.