Friday, June 13, 2003

Well, in an attempt to make my life/monetary situation better, I decided I'd change my car's oil myself this evening. Instead of paying $30 to Jiffy Lube or $25 to my dad's work, I paid $12 for the quarts of oil and the filter. Indeed, I know how to do this...it's really simple, honestly. Except when I do it, of course--nothing's ever really simple the first time it's been done by me in a long time.

I started around 7:30 or so, and recently finished the project up at 12:30. I called my dad twice for information, and the second time, he gave me the wrong directions, or I misunderstood him. I asked which way the oil filter is supposed to screw off, and he said counterclockwise. So for a couple hours I tugged and pulled and attempted to jimmy up contraptions out of tools not designed for use as an oil filter remover to get the damn thing to screw off. I decided to suck it up and go to Meijer and buy an oil filter wrench. Had to borrow Gerard's van to do so, and I knew he'd come back from his choir meeting, which he did. Thankfully, he has brains and didn't automatically call the cops thinking someone stole his van. :) While there, some middle-aged dude asked if I knew anything about cars, and I said a little. He wanted my opinion as to whether or not his idea to put grease in the front-axle boot (which had a hole in it) would extend the life of the bearings inside. I told him it would be better than doing nothing, I'd guess. That conversation lasted longer than I wanted. I paid and left.

I came back and used the wrench, but then figured out by looking at the new filter that, indeed, for hours I'd been trying to turn it the wrong way. Plus, the wrench was a piece of crap that didn't work right--it was too big and had this soft lining on the inside that was supposed to be grip, but wasn't gripping anything except my patience. So I had to call Luis to tell him (at 10:30 or so) to come out and bring his oil-filter wrench, because we're getting this thing off and done tonight. I couldn't drive it that way.

His wrench, a different design than the one I bought, worked to perfection, of course.

So, I wasted an entire evening trying to change my oil. But at least I'll know next time which way to turn the damn stuff...hopefully. My arms, neck and back are sore as hell, so now i know how my dad feels after a day of work (though he doesn't have to lay on the ground, the lift takes care of that). The shower I took didn't help at all. So I'm going to go to bed now...