Wednesday, March 12, 2003

The Flower and Garden Show was cool, but for whatever reason, I think I expected more--though I wasn't disappointed at all. The gardens were pretty nice, but the problem was that there didn't seem to be as much variety in terms of plants throughout the show. It seemed as though I kept seeing the same plants over and over in different gardens. Basically, I took a ton of pamphlets from displays like the Midewin Tallgrass Prairie (down near Joliet) and the Audubon Society...stuff I can't buy, but can visit or maybe volunteer or something. I badly want to go to the Midewin Prairie now (though I've wanted to go since NU, when I learned about it in my "Green Chicago" class). I did see two plants I really want to get for my own garden if I can find them in stores, and me and Luis went to a seminar on herbs. I may plant a handful of those in my veggie garden, if there's space. And I at least want to plant a Pineapple Sage plant...they look good and apparently taste like pineapples...

Then, later, we decided to reaffirm our heterosexual preference and went to check out the new bar, Coyote Ugly (yes, like the movie). It was pretty cool, though quite expensive. It's cool enough that we're taking Luis's cousin there tonight for a little while because he was unable to go yesterday. It was a lot of fun too, and I'm kind of hurting today because of it. Overall, the bar is very nice and airy--lots of space--and it looks like half of it will have a removable roof in the summer time. The bartenders were cool, but the best part was when a bunch of them got up on the bar and danced to one of my all-time favorite songs, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." It was kind of a mix between a cheerleader routine/Ed Debevic's thing. And it was cool to have that song just BLASTING out of the speakers throughout the place. I felt like I could run through a brick wall after that song. :)

All in all, it was a good time, but probably too expensive to make a regular visit out of...but who knows? We'll see, I guess...