Thursday, December 12, 2002

Well, fantastically, my Internet was not working last night...more accurately, my computer wasn't. Today I get to go down to the city twice...once in the afternoon to tape the Pro Football Weekly TV show (yes, I'm on TV this week), then I'll go to my parents' house, hang out and head back to that neighborhood for Sourcelight's (Donna's work) holiday party. Should be interesting, I guess...
Yesterday a weird thing happened when I was driving home...I got down near Bolingbrook, and I noticed this orange, flickering glow on the southern horizon, down in Romeoville. I know that down there are all sorts of gas companies, so I wondered what was going on...I got on I-55, and you could see the flame shooting out of the smokestack or vent pipe or whatever it was...but, man, was it bright...I realized quickly that it was probably some sort of burnoff of something...but that makes me curious as to what they were burning and how does it affect me, Mr. Minding My Own Business But Potentially Being Polluted On. Then I figured it wasn't a big deal...it was strange though, because they don't do that much...I think I've seen it MAYBE once before.
But here's the strange thing...it put me slightly on edge. I looked out the window every once in awhile. I checked to see if it was still there this morning (it wasn't). I slept OK the rest of the night, but it was kind of on my mind before I went to bed. Like something that upsets your daily routine. It made me think, am I that routinized that something like a stupid burnoff at a gas plant miles away that lights up the sky can capture my attention that well? I watched CLTV to see if they said anything, and of course they didn't. I love how they act like they're all CNN like, when really, half the stuff they show is taped anyway, including the repeating newscast. But that's another story...I should do some work now, since I'm only going to be here half the day anyway.