Sunday, August 31, 2003

Recap time, baby! Boxcutta style. Blade 'em up. Troy came by the house on Friday and helped me clean up some...that was cool of him and it really helped. He brought the first DVD of "Kung Faux" which produced nothing but hilarity and several phrases that will now be used regularly in our lives. Including the above, "blade 'em up," and "That's my word," and the addition of "holla" at the end of many inquisitive sentences. If you don't know what "Kung Faux" is, here's a brief synopsis: They take old, bad kung fu movies and overdub them from a hip-hop (ghetto, urban, whatever you want to call it) perspective. They apparently stay very true to the movie's actual storylines, but they obviously cut it down to a half hour show. It's quite possibly the funniest show no one knows about, because it's on Fuse TV, which is on digital or satellite cable (don't remember which, or if it's both). I can't watch it at my house even...but I might start taping it at work or something...we get Fuse at work, I think.

Yesterday was the Ghetto Bowl draft and BBQ, which didn't have the massive turnout it typically has, but it was still the best draft and BBQ ever, in my opinion. The draft didn't take long at all, because we flew through it, and I didn't have to stand in front of the grill the entire day cooking for a million people. The food was good, the people were better and the times were good as usual. I hope every Ghetto Bowl draft goes this well from now on. Plus, the four folks who had no interest in the draft decided to drive out to Crate & Barrel outlet in Naperville while we drafted. So it all worked out for them, because they didn't have to sit around and stare at the walls for two-plus hours.

After the draft wound down, folks cleared out of here and the last people left around 8pm. I then cleaned up a bit, relaxed a bit and showered and prepared to go to a club called Bacchus on Lincoln north of Webster to see Luis' coworker work the turntables. He did a good job, though I thought he held each part of the song too long. That was my only beef...but he played good stuff. The only problem with the club was that his area (on the ground floor) had no real spot to dance, so no one was dancing, really. Just folks kind of standing around and bouncing to the beat a little. There was a group of folks from a hair salon there, giving away CDs and coupons. Apparently, they have a bar and a DJ spinning all day long at the salon...so you go to get your haircut and you can listen to the tunes and have a drink or something. I don't know exactly how it works, but I might just go check it out. Maybe it will be cool. Maybe it will suck. Then I'll go back to Robert Jeffrey, the place Luis took me to. Who knows? We hung out there until about 2am. I had had enough beer for the day (when I say enough, I don't mean too much...I was just tired of beer), so I switched to Mandarin-7s and put down a bunch of those over the evening. We probably would have stayed longer, but I was just dead tired and worried that I wasn't going to be able to drive home safely because of the tiredness factor. Case in point how tired I was: I just got up about 15 minutes ago.

Today, Barb's birthday party is later on. So I'll be seeing Barb and Christine for the third time in four days and Pete and Bob for the second time in two days. Thank God they don't all hate me. :) Or at least pretend to like me.

Tomorrow it will be nice to have another day off. I have another fantasy football draft in the evening with the guys from the old neighborhood. That's a more expensive league, but it's typically a well-played league in that no one seems to typically run away with it every year. So we'll see how that goes...it's always a good time hanging out with them anyway.

This week, dammit, I plan on making a major push in apartment searching. I talked to Butch briefly, and we both agreed that we probably wouldn't have a third roommate--at least not the dude whom we thought would be our third roommate--he sent on some apartment listings he thought looked good...I have yet to check them out, but I'm guessing we'll start with those and the one Kim and Nick sent my way and go from there. The apartment that had the "yard for planting," I drove by it on Thursday on the way to Hawkeye's, and it was the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. So, obviously, it's out. :)

Ah well...I should eat something and get some more cleanup done around here. And pay my bills. That's pretty important, even though I can't mail them out until Tuesday. God, I wish I had a secretary or someone to pay my bills for me. I also wish I had more money to pay them with. But everyone does.