Sunday, August 10, 2003

I was thinking of this on the way to work today, so I'll share.

I'm a patient guy, for the most part, even if I act impatient sometimes.

But, I simply can't stand waiting, especially if there's uncertainty involved.

I can't stand waiting for something to happen, especially if there's a chance it might not happen the way I want or at all. I also can't stand waiting for the inevitable.

I learned at an early age that if I want things done, to be active about it. Prod the situation along. I'm not a proponent of the passive way of life, for the most part. Yes, there are things that are worth waiting for or things that activity is not necessary. Those things I can wait for.

But, if I want something done or want something to turn out some way, I've always been an active person. It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut or not do something to prod things along. That's why you'll occasionally see me being anxious about something...because I know it's going to happen, but I can't do anything to make it happen sooner.

I'm not speaking of anything in particular (my brain kind of simply wanders when I'm driving), but I guess that this camping trip would be a nice example. Here I am, at work, destined to be frustrated throughout the day because I can't get out of here fast enough, no matter what I do. The faster I get out of here, the sooner I get home and can get Barb and Pete to my place to get the camping plans officially finalized and then to sleep and off to camping tomorrow.

Time simply kills me. :) There are certainly other situations and aspects in my life that this rule applies to, but none of them as clear examples or worth noting here. Besides, I can't type on this all day, or work will go slower. :)