Sunday, August 10, 2003

By this time tomorrow, I had better be in my campsite, relaxing and eating or at least cooking dinner. One or the other. The camp should be up and going and the vacation part of the trip should be beginning. At least, that's the idea, I hope.

Oh yeah, so that means this space will go mysteriously quiet until Friday sometime. Boy, a week without Andy. I'm sure there's some of you out there who would love to have that all the time. :)

Anyway, we are leaving Bolingbrook tomorrow no later than 7am. There will not be a repeat of the last time I went to Rock Island (with three other people, strangely enough), when I misjudged the tourist traffic through Door County and we missed the last people ferry by minutes. We were stuck behind some old lady going 25 mph the whole way through Door County, it seemed. Fortunately, we then had to find some nice boaters to take us across for the same price...the first asshole wouldn't do it for cheap, so we said fuck him. Then we found some older guys--brothers who had just bought their boat for fishing. They said they'd take us across.

Suffice to say, I was pretty stressed the rest of the evening as we scampered to get the campsite in order and cook dinner as nightfall approached. It's hard to cook meat in the dark (even on an open fire) with just flashlights...not easy at all. Or at least it wasn't that evening.

So, we're starting about 3 hours earlier (maybe 4, I can't remember) this time. And if that doesn't work, I'm giving up going to Rock Island. I'll find somewhere else to camp. There are plenty of places.