Monday, August 25, 2003

Amazingly, there was no real down time at work, and what little there was I spent watching "Karate Kid," which has been on ESPN Classic's "REEL Classics" show like 20 times in the past five months on Sunday nights. What a funny-ass movie when you look back at it. Such great lines as (though I'm probably not getting them dead-on right):

"Yeah! Put him in a body bag Johnny!"
"Didn't know it was Walk With a Worm Week."
"Ah ha ha ha! Danielson, you all wet behind ears! Ah ha ha ha!"

And of course, the fantastic (sarcasm) music. Boy, that stuff was rockin'!

So, it's kind of nice when the season starts up because there's actually stuff to do almost the entire time I'm at work on Sundays. That's good, because if I have to spend 12-15 hours there, I'd much rather be working than sitting around.

Well, Laz mentioned it, but the Ghetto Bowl draft and BBQ is this Saturday at my place. All are invited...you can email me to get times, directions, etc.

I got a nice "esteem" boost today too, when the wife of a coworker/friend of mine at work said, "Did you lose weight Andy, because you look good." I said, "No, I didn't lose weight, I don't think. Last time I checked, I'd lost maybe a pound." I said the difference is, two softball games and one volleyball game a week in the summer has toned me. Not that I'm cut or anything, but I don't have the gut too much anymore or the love handles, etc., etc. That felt good to hear, because, really, no one ever says anything like that to me ever. I have to shave or get a haircut for anyone to point out that, hey, something's different on Andy. :) Now, granted, I'm TERRIBLE at noticing changes in people's appearances unless it's blatantly obvious, and weight, especially is hard for me to tell. So I guess it serves me right...or something.

In fact, the last thing I ever heard about my weight was when I overheard an aunt of mine a couple years ago at Christmas lean over to my mom and TRY to whisper surprised, "Andy got a little fat." For the most part I found it funny...I can't hate family for saying something like that though. They're family, to whom I'm fiercely, fiercely loyal. Like many of my best friends, who may as well be family. :) Anyway, I typically never cared about my weight (I never had to, really). I don't even own a scale, but that's OK. I don't want to be like several people (guys and gals) I know who are OBSESSED with their weight, even though they look great. It just strikes me as funny sometimes, that's all.

In other news, I've come to an agreement with my friend and former neighbor growing up, Butch, that we are going to look for a 2-bedroom apartment in the city somewhere. It's amazing. It took us all of five minutes to agree to this and to hammer out where we want to live (wherever, but north side is better for me), what our budget would be ($500 apiece or less), and what we needed (2BR that allows big dogs for cheap). I like being guys. :) It's like that kick-ass Bud Light commercial with the couple in the bistro and the waiter comes up and the girl can't decide, and the two guys rattle off one-word sentences to get the guy's order through. It's awesome. :)

Waiter: "(to woman:) I can come back later...Ahem. Sir?"
Guy: "Porterhouse."
Waiter: "Medium?"
Guy: "Rare."
Waiter: "Slaw?"
Guy: "Cob."
Waiter: "Ranch?"
Guy: "Bleu"
Waiter: "Fries?"
Guy: "Baked."
Waiter: "Toppings?"
Guy: "All of them."

Just classic. Classic, classic, classic.

Anyway, on the apartment, I have a few leads, as usual, but this is far easier than past apartment searches. I just couldn't find anything that really fit my needs. Butch is a pretty easy-to-live-with guy, which will be great--I don't need the headaches of having a roommate who won't share the load or do anything for me or just be a flat-out pain in the ass. Plus, Butch is a nice guy, which means if I need a favor, such as walking the dog while I'm at work on Sunday, he'll do it. Plus, he wants to get a husky sometime, so Kazak will have a friend then too. Butch is a good friend who I've known my whole life, but he's not such a close friend that we'll drive each other nuts, as rooming with my bro or Luis might do. Besides, neither of them want to move out of their parents' house anyway, and I don't blame them. So that's a relief. I have to check my finances, but I should be able to afford this. And if not, I'm willing to make sacrafices now...it's time to get my life moving, and if that means leaving some things to drown in the wake, well, tough bananas. :)

All right...enough for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post. :)