Sunday, July 20, 2003

Well, it was good to see the Sox kick ass today. They've been playing well, which I've been trying to avoid enjoying, only because the trend thus far is to play well then play like crap and let me down. So I'm trying to keep calm about the whole thing, really. :)

Hmmm...let me think if there was anything really cool about my brother's graduation party. Well, not really. Disappointing attendance by the majority of the Hanacek/Haniacek family kind of kept the fun quotient supressed a bit. Not that it wasn't fun without them, but it could have been more fun. But, I guess we expected it, as there was a disagreement between my dad and one of his nephews, so maybe it's best everyone stayed away. All in all, it was cool.

I had a good time, particularly playing Railing Volleyball with Eddie and his soon-to-be college roommate and best friend(?) from high school and the volleyball team. It was one of those great made-up games, where two people were on the porch and three were on the ground, and the railing acted as the net. How we didn't break any windows, I don't know. I also had a good time talking shit about some of our relatives on my mom's side of the family. But that's another story for another time. :)

One of the highlights, my dad's oldest sister was there, and she had heard I was getting into the family history stuff, so she brought a bunch of papers--letters and official documents and such--to give to me to help in my search. She also confirmed that Grandpa was from Jurgow, Poland, but it was in Czechoslovakia for a while. She also told me something I hadn't known, and that's that my Grandpa and Grandma met in Pennsylvania, when they lived there (near or in Uniontown, Pa.) I had originally thought they'd met in Poland and came across the pond together. Of the papers, the letters, I was told, are in a northern, border dialect of Slovak, but they should be translate-able...or whatever word. Also in the papers were a couple documents in German, but we have NO idea what they are. One of them is dated 1912. So I'll have to get those translated. But, after we got done talking (briefly), she said if I have any questions to just call. I said, well, why don't we get together and sit down and talk. She said that was fine, somewhat hesitantly, but I think it's because she didn't understand that it would be better for me to do it that way than what she wanted, which was to do my thing and if I had a question, call. That way's OK too...but I need to focus. That's not focus. :)

Now, I'm kinda just sittin' around, relaxing before having to head back to work as usual tomorrow. We're slowly creeping back into the regular-season routine now, having a paper every two weeks until mid-to-late August. Training camps start this week, so, I guess, here we go again.