Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Sadly, I have not met nor dreamed about the yellow-eyed girl again. Oh well. :)

More evidence came yesterday of why I should not be allowed anywhere near any coaching duties for the PFW softball team. What a phenomenal game! We played hard the whole game and I dominated on the mound through five innings. In the bottom of the sixth (we play seven), with a six-run deficit to overcome, the other team magically became hitters. They nickel-and-dimed nine runs out of me that inning, hitting base hit after base hit after base hit. It was nuts. We had a few errors too, by the way. But I couldn't have pitched any better. I walked two guys the whole game and I felt really good on the mound for the first time in weeks. So in the top of the seventh, we needed three runs. We'd been in this spot before and succeeded. But we got two quick outs, then a single. Then, our batter hit a lazy popup just over the third-baseman's head in the outfield...it dropped and our runner advanced to second base. Then, their guy kicked the ball while trying to pick it up. I was coaching first and mumbled, "oh, yeah, go, go, go..." thinking out loud that the lead runner should advance. Our batter got to first right at that moment, heard me and rounded first base without looking that the lead runner hadn't moved from second. I turned around and didn't even watch the rest of the play unfold because I blew it. We lost 14-11. It sucked, but we were happy that we finished the season 7-4 overall, a gargantuan step up from teams past. Tonight, I have volleyball once again, and it's my mom's birthday. I ordered flowers for her, so hopefully she gets them when she gets back from work OK. And I hope she appreciates them, which I'm sure she will. :)