Tuesday, July 22, 2003

First off, you guys are such smart-asses it's not even funny.

It's amazing what a difference a day literally makes. This time yesterday, I was in the midst of a personal emotional crisis. I was nearly puking, crying and was shaking so much that I nearly fell off my chair. I knew I would get no sleep. I had heard and misunderstood some things that literally nearly floored me and I was an emotional wreck.

That is why I got 30 minutes of sleep Sunday night-Monday morning. I floated through work though today...completely wired but tired too. I'd share the complete story, but many of you are bright and can probably figure things out by doing a little sleuthing. Anyway, I talked to the person involved today, and, amazingly, it went far better than my previous 12 hours worth of flipping out warranted. We cleared a lot of the air without getting angry and then spent the next three hours talking of the good ol' days and talking about just anything at all. Whatever came to mind. Things we'd never said, things we'd never done but wished we could have. Things we hope for in the future. We set some ground rules, such that we would be completely and totally honest and not get offended or insulted by any advice or anything either person said. The reason being: We're looking out for each other, not competing. We talked better than we'd ever talked before, and it was sincere...not forced or watch-dogged.

I like the new role, so long as the role stands the test of time. I can deal with it, which I wasn't sure I could. My misconception of a previous phone call...a very big misconception created by my temporary insanity and the vagueness of the answer to a question I mistakenly asked...was cleared up without anger because there was communication and explanation. And both sides seemed satisfied.

Surprisingly, I've not been happier since before March, because I can now talk to this person like never before about things I've never spoken before. Had you asked me if the situation would have reached this conclusion prior to the evening, I would have said, "No way." But, as I told some folks, I had NO IDEA how things would go. So, for now, and hopefully as long as possible, this works, so long as both sides hold up the bargain. YOU HEAR ME, OTHER SIDE? ;)

Now I'm going to bed.