Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Wow...that wasn't so bad. Our double-header was far easier than anticipated, particularly the first game, which we finished tied 3-3. Our first nonloss of the season. I extended my scoring streak to four games with a sweet, sweet (my best shot of the year) one-timer from straight on near the "blue line" area that was passed to me from the other team. My eyes certainly lit up as big as saucers as the ball rolled toward me and I was able to send a slapshot top shelf over the goalie's right shoulder.

However, we paid for our awesome game by playing the best team in the league in the second game. They won 7-1 after jumping out to a 3-0 lead in the first minute or so. They were just way too quick for us, especially after busting our asses in the first game. My goal-scoring streak ended that game, though I had some decent shots on goal. Oh well, I was tired of bragging about it anyway. :)

My back held up fine, but it's a bit sore now...I bet tomorrow, it will be in serious pain. But we'll see. I'm going to go to bed now in the hopes that a good night's sleep will help it. Also, I was quite pissed that it didn't rain today like they said it would, because I didn't really water the garden when I planted it (which you're supposed to do) since I figured it would be raining by morning. But I guess the rain is really on the way now. So we'll see.

Oh, and finally, the coolest thing about my conversation with a player personnel guy today was the point at which he asked me what I thought of his team's moves (basically, what I thought about the job HE'S done in free agency). I have a pseudo-relationship going with this guy in that he's probably my only real "anonymous source" in the league, and we've talked a decent amount about football and Joel Buchsbaum, who he was pretty close to, in the past. So much so, I felt comfortable saying, "well, I really liked that you signed this guy, but I was really, really confused about signing this other guy, because it kind of flew in the face of what the head coach had said earlier in the offseason." I figured I was not going to sugar-coat something and say, "You've done great," when I didn't believe that about all their moves. Whether that means anything to him or not, I don't know...but better to be honest, which is my nature, than to bullshit him. I'm not a yes-man. There's a tiny bit of me that hopes maybe that impressed him and it leads to some sort of career move some day. Sometime, I'd like to maybe ask him about what it takes to be a player-personnel type--not necessarily the top guy, but a scout or other. Who knows? Maybe I'd like that.