Saturday, April 23, 2005

Some random thoughts after the first baker's dozen picks in the Draft.

--Hmmmm... A. Smith selected first. Last A. Smith I remember being drafted this high was named Akili, and we know how great he turned out. I'm not sold on Alex Smith...but we'll see.

--I think I might have preferred seeing the Bears take Mike Williams, but I'm happy with Cedric Benson, even though, like Earl Campbell, Eddie George, Ricky Williams, etc., I have a feeling Benson will last about seven years or so, maximum. I mean, the guy had, what did they say, 1,100 carries throughout college? Good to see him emotional, and good interview--sounds like he's pretty pissed at much of the league for putting him through a bunch of crap.

--I never actually heard Romeo Crennel speak, but the first thing I thought when I heard him interview with Berman was, "Put the lotion in the basket." He so sounds like that dude from "Silence of the Lambs," but less sinister...I didn't know that.

--If Chris Berman talks about "Shake, Rattle and Roll" anymore, I'm going to puke.

--So, who will the Lions trade? Mike Williams, Roy Williams or Charles Rogers? Or will they be signing Warren Moon shortly after the draft?

--Tom Condon should not have been interviewed by ESPN...it legitimized asshole agents. And he proved his asshole-ness by saying in response to a question about the Eli Manning situation last year something like "The team (the Chargers) had a problem last year, but this year is different (with the 49ers)." What a load of crap! And it's a shame that Suzy Kolber didn't call him on it. Manning was the one with the problem, not the Chargers. And ESPN basically legitimized that bullcrap...I hate ESPN.

--Further incensing me: Andrea Kramer with Jon Jansen...What if the Redskins take Antrell Rolle and bring another Miami guy on board? Duh, Andrea, Rolle was JUST TAKEN by the Cardinals. If it was taped, find a different question to ask Jansen...there's a boatload. Then she tries to cover her ass after he answers by saying, well, we don't have to worry about that possibility actually, because Rolle was just taken by the Cardinals. Stupid.

--I've been trying to explain to Gina all of this, and she's taking it in pretty well. My first example of a trade just came over (Texans-Saints), so she understands why a team would do that a little better now.

--Dude, Sam Mills died? Damn...that was a feel-good story if ever there was one. I'm marginally sad about that. Those Saints linebackers kicked ass.