Sunday, March 23, 2003

Well, this weekend has confirmed one thing: I'm DEFINITELY not moving back in with my parents and brothers. Forget it. I was at the house yesterday b/c the Sox had a season-ticket holder event. I stuck around for a while to see if my dad needed help b/c he redid all the wiring in the house and is redoing the kitchen. He didn't need my help, so I left. But within the couple of hours I was there it was ridiculous. Everyone pissed at everyone else, making me pissed too.

So today I came back around 10 am, because we're gonna start hanging drywall for the new kitchen ceiling. We've done this before, for the back porch. I'm currently taking a break while my dad cuts a hole in the drywall for where the light fixture goes. But, I wanted to blog because I came to a stark realization. I know why I'm so damn demanding of doing everything myself. It's my dad. Period. I'm here to help, right? But what do I do? Stand around and watch him and occasionally hand him a tool. When I say, "While you're doing X, why don't I do Y?" He says something like, no, we don't need to do that right now.

This all despite the fact that I THOUGHT I had proven myself to be a pretty handy Andy, what with the gardening, landscaping, housework and now table-building I did all by myself. The only thing I've done while he's done something else is measure where the studs in the ceiling are. Anything else I've actually done, he's looking right over my shoulder practically or just standing there, even though the point of me doing something is to save time in the long run.

So, I give up. If all this handywork was nothing but a subconscious effort to prove to my dad that I can do that stuff too, well then, I guess that'll be the end of it. However, if I do enjoy doing it (which I'm pretty sure I do), then I'll keep doing it. But now I know that my dad is very much like me: An I'll-do-it-myself kind of person who occasionally needs help.

It's really cool when you make these realizations in life, but I'm a little depressed to know that there's no way my dad will ever trust me on that type of stuff.

Oh well, back to "work" I go.