Friday, September 05, 2008

I said I'd post more...so I'm trying to do so. Hopefully it will last...we shall see!

So, I'm 95 percent sure I'm going to run my first 5K race here at the end of the month. We got a flyer on our door for the Fall into Fitness 5K run/walk at Portage Park. Now, I haven't been to the gym since A.J. was born, six months ago. But, I probably could have run a 5K at that point, having spent months on the treadmill.

The kicker here is, I'm going from no running (other than windsprint-like running in softball once/twice a week) to having 23 days to prepare for this thing. It shouldn't be a problem though. Today was my first day back at the gym and I was able to run at a 5 mph clip for one full mile. So I should be all right (even though, yes, I understand that pavement running is much different than treadmill running).

Now, if this weren't basically my neighborhood, I probably wouldn't do it. But I think it will be cool to wander over there, run around the 'hood (though not my part of the 'hood) and enjoy a nice early autumn day (hopefully). And I'm just aiming to finish -- I don't think for a second that I'll "win" the race or even come close. In fact, I'm sure I'll even walk a portion of the race, pending how much "training" I get done between now and then. But it'll be simply about finishing the race, really, and I have plenty of confidence that I can do it.

So if you're not doing anything that morning, come on out and cheer me on as I pass by. It'll give me a little bonus boost of energy. :)