Sunday, September 17, 2006

I have been correctly reminded that there are folks that read this, and I've let them down. I am sorry...no, really, I am. Seriously. Even if I wasn't, I should be a good "journalist" and record my history, as this is supposed to be doing, per my own admission.

So, where have I been? Well, between continuing to pick up the slack of being seriously shorthanded at work (we've interviewed three folks, two walked out after learning about our magazine), I've been to Kansas City twice (I believe) since my last posting. The first time was part of a two-day trip down the Missouri River, from the Sioux City area down to K.C. to present a few of awards. Hey, free food and getting out of the office was great, but it is what it is, you know? I do grow fond of K.C. though...seems a decent place, and I've nary heard a complaint. :) Well, except that the Royals are there.

Also, yesterday, I went to Kalamazoo, Mich., in my annual NSRA trip with my dad. Always a blast...plus, I found yet another car I'd like to refurbish (someday when I'm rich, and when I actually learn more than what I know about cars, of course). It was a 1958 Chevy Biscayne. Here's a picture of a refurbished, nice one.












Love it. The one we saw was not terrifyingly rusted on the surface, and they wanted $5,000 for it. It was funny, because my dad was actually relishing in the fact that I was actually drawn to it. I think that, if I had $5,000 on the spot and wanted to buy it, he'd have "let me." By that I mean, he would not have told me I'm crazy or that I shouldn't do it, in a parent kind of way. So, by my count, when I get rich someday, I'll have one of these (actually, I like the paint job on this one, honestly), and one of these, a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with a t-top, just like this one (except this one doesn't have a t-top):














Again, I love the car. Though I'd even settle for a 1980 Firebird, but I like the headlight design on the '78 better. Of course, I will also get a 1932 Ford, whether I get my dad's or not. :) Again, I'll be rich, remember? :)

Today, I relaxed and watched the Bears beat the crap out of the Lions while doing some work. Also just kind of bummed around and watched other football. The White Sox? Right now, they're dead to me. They piss me off so much right now, I can't even bear to watch. My blood pressure rises (I can tell) when I do watch, so it's probably best that I don't right now. But hey, at least we won a World Series...maybe they'll surprise me and get into the playoffs after all. They aren't dead in the water yet, but if they play the way they have, they can just freakin' forget about it.

Hmmm...what else? I've had some busy weeknights too, with meetings and assorted other crap. More like I've just come home dead-tired from rough days at work. I keep reminding myself that this job is putting me, financially, in a much better place, and that I can survive with it for longer than I think. This job is helping me absolve myself of my debts (except that crap that I owe NU and will pay off until I die, of course), which in turn is making me better off for when Gina and I start looking for a house or start having kids. I know money doesn't buy happiness and all that crap, and I agree. I'm not "happy" or anything like that, but I know that I'll be able to do things I want in better fashion once I get rid of the debt (without that jackass on TV...). So that helps. Listen, there are aspects of the job I love...and, even though he makes me work hard, I have the kind of boss who drives you, but you love to work for him. I still keep thinking things will get better, and I do truly believe that. It's not as though the work is bad, just the amount and the expectations are tough. The amount is REALLY tough. So, you're talking about solvable problems here, and I guess that's what keeps me going. That and the financial aspect.

Otherwise, this is travel season for work...I head down to the Ft. Lauderdale area the first week of October, and there might be a couple of other trips in the offing as well, I'm sure. But for now, I really need to stay in the office anyway, working my butt off to get our magazine out and done well.

Between all that, I've been out in The Brook, helping Gerard paint his garage and house, per the village's threats. So that's helped to tire me out and keep me busy as well...which reminds me that I have to pick a day this week to head out there too.

So, I will try to do better about updating this...I apologize to those who want to know what's what, and to those who might read this as a case history or something. I will do the best I can.